[pianotech] Tuning a temperament without counting beats

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Jul 10 11:50:16 MDT 2010

>Finally - I really wanted to try this so I tried my damnedest to really
>understand this - but ....

Duaine --

People learn in different ways. I'm sure you'd get the system if it
were demonstrated, instead of having to wade through a bunch of words.

Also, the more you work on aural tuning, the easier it is to understand
the instructions.

The general scheme is ingenious -- he has you set contiguous (stacked) thirds
F-A-C#-F-A (a little practice makes it easy enough to set the middle two
notes inside the F-F octave so that the rates proceed evenly,
faster as you go higher). You call them "right." The evener the
progression the closer to equal temperament they will be. Adding
one more M3rd outside the temperament octave (the higher A) gives you
another interval to test the progression, and lets you test two notes
with octaves instead of one. (F's and A's both, instead of just
F's.)

Then he has you set perfect fifths and fourths for the missing
notes, even though they are "wrong."

Then the final step is to (nearly) correct the errors in the
perfect fifths and fourths by comparing them to two "right"
notes. One of the two comparison intervals will be beatless,
the other will be awful. You just average and get the note
you are correcting halfway between beatless and too fast,
equally "bad" for the two comparison notes.

It ends up with an 'almost equal' tuning.

If you have no practice with aural tuning schemes, it's probably
easier to read the instructions with a tuning hammer in your hand,
doing the steps as you go.  And take your time.

Susan Kline