[pianotech] Hammer tapering methods?

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 15:08:34 MDT 2010

  This brings up a question which I have not satisfactorily answered for
myself.

In tapering the hammer you now have a hammer which has lost all index
surfaces except for 1/4 to 5/16 at the bottom of the tail.

Hanging the hammers dead vertical is declared to be essential, It
effects spacing...etc etc.  But you now have nothing that represents a
reliable reference surface to confirm verticality when you hang the
hammers.   The tail in my opinion is useless as an accurate index, the
taper is not reliable...which leaves eyeballing which is what I'm doing.

I am however not happy with my spacing consistency in general,
so....does anyone have some other way to prove verticality  when hanging
hammers?

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio