[pianotech] Plate Location

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Jul 11 16:20:53 MDT 2010

Hi Ed:

It depends on the piano on whether or not I would install plate bushings.
If a particular piano has the pin hole spacing clustered very close in the
tenor and perhaps the bass, I would be reluctant to do it.  If the plate
webbing is very thin, such as we typically see in a Steinway, I would be
hesitant to do it.  But there are many pianos where these conditions do not
exist, but where the plate is thick.  Many of the old Mason & Hamlins had
plate webbing 3/8” or more in thickness.  When the block is tight, the pins
tend to flagpole, making the tuning more difficult.  Reaming out the plate
holes takes about ½ hour, installing bushings about the same, and dressing
the plate underside for length the same again.  About 1 ½ hours total, and I
charge the customer for it.

My experience has been that it has made the process of tuning such beasts
like a Mason & Hamlin more pleasant to tune.  Some of these pianos I have
been tuning for 20 years to no detriment.  I do it because it gives the
tuning pin more support nearer to the top of the pin.

Will Truitt