[pianotech] Plate Location

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 11 16:36:58 MDT 2010

William Truitt wrote:
> Reaming out the plate holes takes about ½ hour,
> installing bushings about the same, and dressing the plate underside for
> length the same again.  About 1 ½ hours total, and I charge the customer
> for it.
>
> My experience has been that it has made the process of tuning such
> beasts like a Mason & Hamlin more pleasant to tune.  Some of these
> pianos I have been tuning for 20 years to no detriment.  I do it because
> it gives the tuning pin more support nearer to the top of the pin.

I haven't added bushings in anything for a while, but I did it
frequently years back and will again when it comes up. The
last time I mentioned this on list, I was unable to make the
point that it wasn't a torque thing, but that the bushing just
added support and improved the feel, as Will said. Better luck
this time, hopefully.

Ron N