[pianotech] charging for concert work

David Weiss davidweiss at embarqmail.com
Mon Jul 12 15:50:29 MDT 2010

I would like some advice on how to charge for a concert tuning.

A concert hall in my area contacted me and asked if I could tune for three
concerts next fall.  The piano needs to be tuned at 4pm, the artist (usually
solo piano) rehearses from 5 to 6. Then I meet with the artist at 6, and
from 6 to 7 take care of his/her requests and do any other needed prep. The
doors open at 7 and the concert begins at 7:30.  There is no requirement to
attend the concert but they provide me with tickets if I would like to.

First question: do I charge more for a concert tuning than a house tuning?

Second question: although I am free while the artist rehearses, it's not
enough time to leave and come back.  (Also parking is too difficult to leave
and come back.)  Is it appropriate to charge for that time, even though I'm
not actually doing any work?

Third question: during the third hour, when I taking care of artist requests
and other last minute prep, should I charge my usual repair rate?  Typically
I have a fee for the first hour, and additional hours are billed at a
slightly lower rate.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

David Weiss