[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 11 17:08:57 MDT 2010

jimialeggio wrote:

> For instance, I still am looking a Davids info, and looking at what
> seems to be a fairly different take on the relative effect of
> downbearing differences as compared to Ron's take.

What I see is David's numbers being in a range similar to mine
in practice. My point was (is) that a CC board is pretty
critical of downbearing differences, where an RC&S board is
not. Back scale must still be factored in, and the shorter the
back scale the more critical the bearing becomes in any
system. In general, with good long back scales, the tonal
differences between relatively light, and relatively heavy
bearing will be far more dramatic in a CC board and maybe
discernible at all on an RC&S if you squint just right.

Ron N