[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 15:44:31 MDT 2010

  Thanks David.

Actually in my opinion, even though we all continue to evolve our
procedures, the outlines of what you've written, added to your
observations about grain angle/hammer density etc if complied along with
other RC&S folks would begin to show tendencies which might confirm,
challenge, and enlarge each of our private takes on this stuff.
Compiled knowledge of this sort can get the group think going in ways
that random queries a on the list and private explorations can't
achieve...anyway, that's how I see it.

I would ask Ron and Dale to reconsider their opinions on this. Yes its
here and there on the list, but piecemeal and undirected.  Proprietary
stuff doesn't need to be part of the mix either in my opinion. WHat will
happen is one voice will publish info and a wealth of other empirical
knowledge and experienced opinion will be lost...to our detriment.

My take anyway.

For instance, I still am looking a Davids info, and looking at what
seems to be a fairly different take on the relative effect of
downbearing differences
as compared to Ron's take.  At this point my take(although my experience
is much less than Ron/Dale/David/Del at this point) is similar to Ron's,
but I'm always all ears and learning.

If the response to different downbearings that David referred to very
minor, ie just a 5% tonal difference that David's ear is picking up,
well that experimental noise. However if the tonal difference is more
pronounced  I  would want to look further as to why. Stiffness is one
parameter, but looking at the larger picture of Davids whole system
might show other trends other than rib stiffness.

David, can I ask if your observations about tonal effect of varied
downbearing in the very minor or more significant department.

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio
grandpianosolutions.com