[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Jul 11 10:33:30 MDT 2010

Sorry I'm slow in responding to this but have been away a few days. I can't
speak for Ron's designs but we have compared notes on occasion.  My
approaches on these vary so it may be a hard side by side comparison.  I
don't always do a full bells and whistles treatment.  My most basic approach
is with original rib positions, unmodified plates (except installation of
new counterbearing bars and aliquots where needed), bass cut-off and often
modified bass bridges to increase backscale length and shorten or eliminate
cantilevers.  I always install a bass cut-off bar (can't see any reason not
to have one).  I don't always do radial rib patterns, vertical hitches,
transition bridges, treble fish, bass floats.  It depends on the scope of
the job, what the customer wants etc..  I have gone to modestly increased
grain angles (from 45 to 50 or 55 degrees) I don't usually go to 60 degrees
as some do.  I still thin the panel if the bass is not floated but only on
the bent side and mostly behind bass bridge and on the treble shelf--down to
about 4-5 mm and starting about 100 - 125 mm from the edge.  I don't do full
diaphragmizing. The straight side and the belly rail side are full
thickness, usually 8-9 mm depending on the piano.  Rib radii are chosen
depending on the length of the rib, the target amount of crown and the
targeted residual crown after loading.  Thus, shorter ribs tend to have a
tighter radius.  With a full cutoff bar and treble fish installed the
overall rib lengths will tend to be much shorter which will tighten the
radius overall.  The middle 1/3+ (varies a bit) is at full height and a
longer gradual taper starts at that point (no big scoops out at the end of
the ribs).  About 10 or 11 mm of unloaded crown on the longest rib is all I
want--considerably less on the shorter ribs.  Rib dimensions are based on
beam deflection formulas and the calculations of the stiffness of the entire
assembly are derived from the ribs and without factoring any compression
from the panel.  I want around 40% residual crown after loading depending on
where in the scale.  I rib the boards between 6 and 6.5% EMC mostly.  While
I calculate the rib dimensions for a loading of around 550 lbs for a small
to medium grand and maybe up to 650 for a larger grand (D excepted), I don't
actually load the boards that much when actually strung.  My bearing
settings have backed off considerably from when I began this.  The whole
range (ideally) is probably between .5 (bass without any significant
cantilever) and 1.25 degrees in the treble which I probably get by note 64
and continue to the top.  The very top of the treble, I find, doesn't need
any more bearing than that.  The actual rib deflection formulas that I'm
using are still evolving somewhat and I'm not ready to part with them quite
yet.   As Ron mentioned, the entire process continues to evolve (slowly),
and since I employ different approaches on different pianos it complicates
things a bit.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

If there were a way that would not jeopardize proprietary info, I think
it would be highly useful to collect and sort through the varied
experience of people working their own approaches to the RC&S concept to
confirm common trends and combine the communal intelligence.

For instance, I think I have a reasonable idea how Ron defines stiffness
throughout the scale, but I'm completely guessing on Davids definition
of stiffness. I get the feeling David's radii are larger than  Ron's,
and calculated rib loading is less than Rons. Without specifics though
the communication is somewhat limited.  It there were some way to share
specifics(and I'm not sure how to do this without giving away
proprietary stuff) I think the combined empirical intelligence which
could come out of these discussions could be substantial.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here...I wonder if it would be useful
and instructive to design a panel discussion specific to RC&S  for  the
convention?  Since it would clearly be defined as specific to RC&S
concepts, and moderated to keep on that topic, we could avoid the head
butting regarding CC vs RC&S ad nauseum and focus on combining the
knowledge & experience of RC&S concepts which have been collecting
independently in our shops.

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio