[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 12 05:49:23 MDT 2010

David Love wrote:
> While greater backscale length does seem to give greater flexibility in
> terms of downbearing settings (for all the reasons previously mentioned) it
> still may be that more downbearing isn't necessarily desirable, just
> tolerable.

I never said more bearing was desirable. I said RC&S is more
tolerant of a broad range of bearing settings.

>> The bottom line is that with an
>> RC&S design I think one should rethink downbearing as well.  It doesn't
>> serve the same purpose and therefore may work at cross purposes.
>
>> Depending on the configuration.
>

> Or our ability to perceive the differences.

Or appreciate them.

> I have to disagree here.  I think that the RC&S assembly is demonstrably
> stiffer.

It depends on where, and when you look. The RC&S will likely
be more flexible in the bass, and stiffer in the treble. That
very control is one of the points.

>By many of our own discussions the CC board cannot maintain
> stiffness through compression for any reasonable length of time (generally).
> Therefore, it is inevitable that the RC&S assembly is or will be stiffer.

Over time, of course. Longevity is another of the points for
RC&S. I was talking about "as built".

> An analysis of the beam strength on each of these two boards makes that
> pretty clear that once the stiffness in the panel due to compression starts
> to diminish at all the RC&S board will be stiffer.  Doesn't the prevalence
> of the killer octave alone suggest that the RC&S board is stiffer?

Over time, yes. That wasn't the point.

> As for the second point about directional stiffness, once you load and RC&S
> board with downbearing then the effectiveness of similar stiffness in both
> directions is lost.

No it isn't. RC&S boards don't "hit the floor" when the panel
compression maxes out because of the low panel compression. CC
boards have a very steep spring rate progression as they're
loaded. RC&S boards have a nearly linear spring rate.

> If you have crown whether by design in the rib radius
> or by compression, downbearing will increase the stiffness and as the
> panel(s) move down there will be a movement in the direction of more
> stiffness and as they move up there will a move in the direction of
> looseness or less stiffness.

It's a matter of degree. The two systems are considerably
different in panel compression levels.

>But more to the point, the question is whether
> you can tie the board down with too much downbearing.  On a CC board since
> you are achieving the requisite stiffness with downbearing there is less
> (though not zero) risk of that.  With an RC&S board since it is already at
> the requisite stiffness before you set any downbearing then the addition of
> downbearing can only push it in the direction of being less mobile.

How much less mobile, and with how much bearing?

  Ron N