[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jul 12 08:08:53 MDT 2010

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

>I never said more bearing was desirable. I said RC&S is more
>tolerant of a broad range of bearing settings.

I realize you said that I'm just after what optimizes soundboard response
and at the moment I'm leaning in the direction of less bearing.

>It depends on where, and when you look. The RC&S will likely
>be more flexible in the bass, and stiffer in the treble. That
>very control is one of the points.

I don't think it's necessarily the RC&S part that makes the bass more
flexible.  The choice to float the bass is to compensate for the tendency
for the bass to be less flexible because of the increased grain angle which
is done to make the panel stiffer.  While the solves the bass problem it
still leaves the low tenor somewhat stiffer.

>How much less mobile, and with how much bearing?

The first question is whether with an RC&S board more bearing makes it less
mobile.  If we decide that it does and also that less mobility isn't
desirable, you can then try and determine how to optimize the bearing for
these designs.  As I mentioned, I'm leaning in the direction of less
bearing.

The issue for me is in trying to determine what accounts for tonal
differences (albeit subtle) that I hear between the current RC&S designs and
CC boards and whether those differences are inherent to the process or the
design (or both) and what the contributions of each are.  I'm leaning in the
direction of the design more than the process and have come to that
conclusion from the various projects I've done in which many of the design
elements that often accompany RC&S projects are eliminated.  There are
others around that I know of who do exactly that.  They build boards with
RC&S methods but make no other changes to the design: no cutoffs, original
rib lengths and positions, no plate or bridge modifications, etc.  They
report perfectly good results though I have not heard these pianos and can't
comment.  As I continue to push toward a system that produces more hammer
tolerance (or really tolerance of harder hammers) I find myself going in the
direction I've outlined.  There are situations in which having to use a soft
hammer may not give the best results, such as in a concert situation where
tonal requirements of some performance pieces may not be best served by a
soft hammer or for a customer who wants the ability for the piano to produce
a more violent upper dynamic end but yet possess the other benefits that
RC&S designs offer.  I'm not at all convinced that the two are mutually
exclusive.

David Love