[pianotech] Lester Spinet

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Jul 14 00:45:55 MDT 2010

It may not be that bad.

First, some Lester spinets had wooden parts, before they made the
mistake with the plastic. Actually, as spinets go, those old Lesters
aren't half bad.

Second, most of the elbows started turning to fragments so long ago
that many pianos have had all of them replaced already.

Third, if you have a handful of the Vagias elbows in your kit or
pocket when you arrive, you can fix a few as needed, if the owner
doesn't want to spend to get them all done. I usually leave a few
spares for someone like that.

But they may have been done long since. Once in awhile one of the new
ones goes bad.

Don't overturn the wire in the elbow - it can sort of crack the
bottom. Luckily you can look through the elbows and see where the end
of the wire is. A small pair of vise grips to grab the wire helps a lot.

Check the bushing cloth trimming on the replacement elbows when you
get them. You should definitely have a set in your parts stash. Some
of them seem to have been trimmed by a squirrel with toothache. A
very sharp single-edged razor blade is often in order. Watch out for
plastic flanges, backchecks, jacks, and damper levers, though, and
treat them with respect. They can be a true pain. A piano like that
really needs to have all that stuff replaced. I've done it ... I
thought I was charging enough. One never does, though.

Susan Kline