[pianotech] Lester Spinet

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Jul 14 07:14:45 MDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Groot" <tunerboy3 at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Lester Spinet

> If you're lucky, the previous tuner replaced them with wooden elbow's.  I
> remember about 30 years ago, Yat Lam Hong asking me what I used to replace
> elbow's.  My answer?  Clip on plastic elbows.  I thought it was the norm.
> His response?  "Why you use plastic to replace plastic?  Why not use wood?
> Won't break."  Logical response.  Since then, that's what I've done. He's
> right.  Sometimes the clip ons break again, especially years later.
> Wooden
> ones will not.
>
> Jer

Jer,
 Respecfully to Mr. Hong I disagree. The plastic today has no relationship
to that of 1948. The advice is outdated in my opinion. Back in the 70's it
was a tough sell to use plastic to replace failed plastic but this is a new
world my Bro. I never offer another option when I stumble across on of these
jobs and I've NEVER seen a new generation elbow break. I'm down to one every
year or so as around here most of these pianos have either had the elbows
replaced or the piano has been retired .
.
 Best to you ,
 Tom D.

P.S. I was a young tech when Mr Hong was Journal editor and  his
contributions were of great help to me.