[pianotech] Lester Spinet

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 14 13:29:00 MDT 2010

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your input.  Yes, Yat Lam is FULL of wisdom and information isn't
he?  We're lucky to have him in our local chapter.

My greatest problem with replacment snap on Vagias elbows of the past?
Well, 2 problems actually..  1.  I have seen many-many of the snap on's
re-break.  Right at the joint where they snap in to the whippen pin.  Of
course, this was 25-30 years ago when I received the advice from Yat Lam
too.  Perhaps that was why.  At that time, I had such a serious continuous
problem with them re-breaking that Vagias agreed to send me many replacement
sets if I in return, sent back the broken parts.  I receieved no
compensation in labor of course.  This was done gratis on my behalf for the
customer.  Unfortunately, that didn't prevent them from re-breaking later on
either.  Usually within a couple of years or less.  I brought this problem
up at chapter meetings, talked with as many different techs about this as I
could but it seems not to many others were encountering this problem.  I was
installing tons of them back then.  Nobody ever did seem to figure out what
was causing it short of probably just a bunch of bad batches I guess.  So,
that's where my thoughts were coming from.

My 2nd problem which I still run into if I ever have to replace even one of
them is this.  The keys would stick after the snap ons were installed.  I
always figured it had something to do with the opening in the jaw of the
snap on elbow but never did figure it out.  Once again, I went to everyone I
could think of for advice but, nobody else seemed to be encountering that
problem either.  I tried everything I could think of to prevent it or stop
it from marking the wires so that they were re-installed in exactly the same
locations and positions to marking where the old elbows were and screwing
the new ones on to the mark and then stopping etc., but, nothing worked so,
I finally just said, piss on it.  I won't work on them.  :)

Jer