[pianotech] soundboard grain angle vs "faux"stiffness

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jul 14 08:00:57 MDT 2010

My current choice for smaller pianos is around 50 degrees, 55 degrees for a
B.  Of those doing these designs I think 60 is more the norm.  Some people
have gone to 70 degrees on a D (that I know of) but not on smaller pianos.
The choice of a greater angle is to stiffen the treble.  The greater angle
has some cost in the bass thus bass floats tend to accompany those designs.
My choice to back off the grain angle has to do with trying to help the
stiffness in the treble without changing the character of the tenor.  Since
I don't do full design changes on all pianos (meaning I don't always do a
bass float) making the angle too severe wouldn't probably be advisable in
those situations.  The difference between 45 and 50 degrees is probably a
fairly subtle one and I have not done an RC&S board at 45 degrees.  You are
right that the backscale concerns are to insure that the assembly has
freedom of movement.  There is a difference between making the panel stiffer
and tying it down and making it immobile.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com