[pianotech] soundboard grain angle vs "faux"stiffness

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 08:54:58 MDT 2010

Sent: Wed, Jul 14, 2010 7:37 am
Subject: Re: [pianotech] soundboard grain angle  vs "faux"stiffness

Jim
 One thing to keep in mind that any soundboard designer/makers on this list have decided what type of tone they are looking for and have experimented with designs that provide their ears with a very particular tonal envelope. It is very important to know what your clients taste are and if they are willing to trust you to provide them with that. There are a few other things to keep in mind.
   My own B is a RC & S design that is un-characteristically not a pure Steinway sound and I Love it. Did I hear applause?
   Andre Oorbeek was here last month and he said... "It does not sound Like a Steinway" and, "I have never heard a piano that sounded like that."....He loved it. He/we said its more a Steingraeber/ Erwin & Sons...with laughter of course. It's dark, powerful and voluminous and most have flipped out over its uniqueness but some are more found of a more open sound. The design spec: is a grain angle that follows the long bridge (approx 30 degrees off the long side) ,serious curved cut-off bar, small 4 note transition bridge, no ring bridge.  Double wrapped mono-chords...no fish...complete with the Dennis Erwin racing stripe on the top.
   The restored 1894 B sitting in the same room is a rib crowned design,with the grain angle 40 degrees off the spine as usual, with a short straight bass cut-off bar, disconnected ring bridge with 3 unions of bi-chords at the tenor break.. Double wrapped mono chords, original string scale with a Sitka board/ribs and 13 variable crowned radius ribs. It has a fantastic sound. By the way I love the sound of good Rib crowned board.  It is a MAJOR upgrade from the old CC boards and in my opinion will have waaay more gas in the life span tank than a CC bd.
    The 1894 B has a more traditional voice and it is very impressive and attractive sound both to me and many others. SO Viva la difference.
  I say this for several reasons.  Know your client. Know what they want, and know how much extra work the R & C boards & the amenities can be.
  R C & S designs should cost the client more money for the engineering and expertise etc. and in this economy getting them to pay for it is tougher to do.
  Extra work ie. the engineering, filling in all the rib notches and cutting new ones,fish,cut-offs, for newbies the risk factors etc. Also know that many folks will not want a re-whatevered Steinway no matter how well you did the work.
   I encourage anyone to get in front of some of these pianos and listen for yourself. Pay attention to the features as I have mentioned in each and really listen. Get some one to play real music on these boxes and then play them yourself.
 I know that David L., Ron N., Will T, Jude, David A. myself will all welcome studious listeners.  This is an extreme advantage that most of us did not have before more examples were available.  We just had to make them and see. It means traveling but its worth it.
  The great thing about this list is any one can express their opinion on stuff and this is mine.
  Ain't it great?

Food for thought

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com