[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 14 10:00:34 MDT 2010

Gene Nelson wrote:

> Great illustration. Lets see if I got it right:
>> From its birth as a dry flat panel glued to flat ribs it swells as it
>> takes
> up moisture.

Yes.

> Bottom of board gets compressed, top may have tension, top of rib in
> tension and
> bottom in compression.

No. The entire panel is under compression. You aren't just
bending the panel in a curve. The panel expands and pushes the
curve into the rib, and itself.

>The constraint of the ribs maintains this state
> with or without
> string bearing load as long as the emc remains higher than glue up.

Yes.

> The assembly would need to be dried to 4% or so in order to
> release the compression/tension.

Right (compression anyway), Or until the panel has crushed
enough through cyclic humidity swings and general overloading
to lose it's ability to maintain those compression levels.
Ron N