[pianotech] Tuning fork puzzle

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 15:01:10 MDT 2010

 I wondered that too, and at the risk of showing how much I don't know about this stuff, I ask the following:  (and I understand that we are talking about a fork and not a string)  But supposing the fork has a fundamental frequency of 100 bps, the octave (second partial) would be 200 bps.  An octave above that (4th partial) would be 400 bps, and an octave above that (8th partial) would be 800 bps.

I don't have a frequency chart in front of me, but figuring 6 1/4 times the fundamental (or 625 bps) would that correspond to the 6th partial?

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine