[pianotech] soundboard grain angle vs "faux"stiffness

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 10:25:31 MDT 2010

Hi Jim
 See below

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
209-577-8397

               It's dark, powerful and                    voluminous

    are you by chance a wine taster by trade <G>  no
     my tonal envelope is power with out noise. Or as Starr Taylor says" Without the strident clang that permeates the piano tonal landscape of today"  Predominant fundamental balanced by upper partial clarity but no clang and little percussion on hammer impact sound.  I seem to be allergic to it
can I take this to mean prominent fundamental and lower partials    with a reduced prominence of the uppers?

The design spec: is a grain angle that                    follows the long bridge (approx 30 degrees off the                    long side)

    hmm.  Yes for me I've always measured it off the spine. Easier. Stwy models S,M,L,O are 45 degrees,(some )s in the 30's) and A's thru Ds are 40 degrees with some anomalies

,serious                  curved cut-off bar,

      where does the cutoff end in relation to the tenor    ribs? See pictures

    Jim I

--

Jim Ialeggio

grandpianosolutions.com