[pianotech] Lester, Lester Sp.

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 08:05:03 MDT 2010

Excellent post Mr. Wyatt!

My experience confirms what you have said:That the main problem with some
Lester spinets is the scale design. They seem like solidly built little
pianos, some of them just don't sound very good. But others sound
acceptable.

Also people bash the plastic parts, but if you look at the parts themselves
when they are intact they are beautifully made: perfect replicas of the wood
parts. These parts even show up on some "higher end" brands like Sohmer. I
doubt these parts were "cheap" at the time. Like the WNG parts today, I'm
sure they thought it was going to be a big improvement.

It really bugs me to hear technicians and businessmen bash spinet pianos.
The main reason they do is because they are harder to work on. I have
clients who LOVE their spinets. By bashing them, you are committing one of
the worst faux pas possible: insulting someone's taste. Spinets are a bit
like the ukulele of the piano world - OK they don't have much in the bass
department, but they can be musically pleasing when they are working well.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter