[pianotech] soundboard grain angle vs "faux"stiffness

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 13:06:04 MDT 2010

> The down side is that the pianist isn't getting smacked in the
> forehead with the disproportionately huge attack spike, and perceives
> the piano as lacking power. Out in the hall, however, I find this
> board and voicing combination to carry at least as well as the
> percussive attack on the CC board, and to my ear, has a richer sound,
> stronger in low partials.

I agree.  Pianists are used to a certain pain level as a barometer of
hall filling power...its just a question of showing open minded ones the
possibilities of a sound they haven't experienced yet.

> Surf... Thunder...

I hadn't connected that...yes surf ....

>> This is why I'm particularly interested in other factors that are
>> effecting  the initial attack other than assuming that the  rib scale
>> is the only issue that is relevant.  I am on board that it gives
>> repeatable control over targeted spring, and will continue to commit
>> my efforts to the refinement of that spring profile, but I'm also
>> thinking hard about how the panel/bridge restricts that targeted rib
>> spring in ways that I dont have a good handle on.
>
> Panel compression has to be a factor. I think this has a lot to do
> with assembly efficiency, and a low panel compression assembly has a
> deeper vibrational excursion than a high panel compression assembly
> that won't go below it's "at rest" position. I don't see any way this
> isn't a factor. I suspect that if you raised the panel compression
> level in one of your boards (assembled at, say, 5%MC), the hammer
> hardness tolerance would go way up. It wouldn't be an RC&S board then,
> but should sound and react more like everything else out there.

My reference to panel involvement was ambiguous, I think .  I was
referring to the restriction imposed by the panel's grain angle and rim
proximity etc. , not by 5%mc assembly (ie cc, which I have no interest
in pursuing).

  I have to do some tests to get some sense of this, but I think, at
least in a small belly, that the long grain of the board with in an
agressive grain angle, 70 deg in my recent experiment, is acting as a
beam,  clamping down the designed spring of the ribs....and perhaps the
conflicting angles of bridge and panel combine to form a type of
crossbanded beam...a stiff combo.

I also think that this "stiffening"  behaves different tonally than the
stiffening created by a CC board that has hit its compression limit.

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio
grandpianosolutions.com