[pianotech] soundboard grain angle vs "faux"stiffness

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jul 15 13:21:46 MDT 2010

jimialeggio wrote:
> My reference to panel involvement was ambiguous, I think .  I was
> referring to the restriction imposed by the panel's grain angle and rim
> proximity etc. , not by 5%mc assembly (ie cc, which I have no interest
> in pursuing).

I understand what you were saying. I'm just not that sure
grain angle has all that much to do with hammer hardness
tolerance without some experience. I do know that folks making
rib crowned boards with a higher level of panel compression
are using Abels, Renner Blues, and other such rocks successfully.

  > I also think that this "stiffening"  behaves different
tonally than the
> stiffening created by a CC board that has hit its compression limit.

I think these are entirely different critters than CC boards,
in how they work.
Ron N