[pianotech] soundboard grain angle vs "faux"stiffness

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jul 15 14:12:37 MDT 2010

  Having flirted with tap dancing on glass I am able to use the Ronsen Products on our rib crowned boards. But we rib at approx 6% for rib crowned stuff.
   The difference in types of stiffness is an interesting idea.  So,isn't stiff just ...stiff?

Dale S. Erwin

I understand what you were saying. I'm just not that sure grain angle has all that much to do with hammer hardness tolerance without some experience. I do know that folks making rib crowned boards with a higher level of panel compression are using Abels, Renner Blues, and other such rocks successfully.

 > I also think that this "stiffening"  behaves different tonally than the
> stiffening created by a CC board that has hit its compression limit.

I think these are entirely different critters than CC boards, in how they work.
Ron N