[pianotech] soundboard grain angle vs "faux"stiffness

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jul 15 20:20:05 MDT 2010

I agree. It has occurred to me however that a rib crowned board is a far distance from a pure CC> crowned board in that a rib crowned board depending on the stiffness of the ribs is going to be getting a good portion of its strength from the rib structure alone due to crowning and increased beam height.  How far one goes with that may blur the distinction between what we are calling a RC & S board and a rib crowned board. A board ribbed at only 6% is not all that dependent on much of its integral strength/resistance to down bearing force from compression yet it exhibits some very non-linear characteristics similar to its C.C. cousin that I find fairly predictable.  The tell all clues to me are how stiff a hammer is required to make it move.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
209-577-8397