[pianotech] Probelm with Business License. Please help!

Hy Cohen frowninverter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 12:29:38 MDT 2010

I've heard that Ag business gets a lot of leeway; however, anything else
that isn't ag related gets frowned on when you're in an ag area. Who knows.
I'm brand new here, and don't know the first thing about how local politics
works here. Back in my home town of Mountlake Terrace, Washington (about
22,000 people), I knew all the members of the city council, city manager,
dept. directors, many of the community leaders, etc. In Mountlake Terrace,
if you wanted to get a property's zoning modified, you'd just go before the
Board of Adjustment-all ran by citizens. For a small, home-based business it
usually wasn't a problem unless you were going to be bringing in a bunch of
extra traffic, making lots of noise, etc. I mean, you had to jump through
legal hoops, but at the end you pretty much got what you wanted. And that
may be how it works here. I'm going to look into it some more. I honestly
don't understand what the problem is. I'll be making no more noise than
someone doing a small craft project. I have no interest in rebuilding
pianos. Just minor repairs. I know quite a few piano techs who don't even
bother getting a business license, even when they know they should. And they
get away with it, and I probably could as well. However, I really want to do
my best to remain completely legal. That said, having to deal with
"nonsense" like this sure makes it tempting to join the others I know.
<grin> Hope you all have a great one!

Warmly,

Hy

Hy Cohen