[pianotech] Abel naturals - report

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jul 20 09:57:51 MDT 2010

Dale Erwin wrote:
>    Actually I have seen much inconsistency in hammers, set to set, as is
> witnessed by this thread and I don't believe it's all poor choice of
> hammers for soundboard style*.

No, nothing is *ALL* anything, but hammer choice ought to
start with what they're going on, and what's expected of the
result, shouldn't it?

>  * So, I don't disagree that " just needs voicing" can be an excuse for
> the choice or the hammer...

"Just needs the right voicing" is exactly what I hear most out
there.

>so how does the _objective evaluation_
> happen quantifiably in you mind.

Likely very much like it does in yours. You probably wouldn't
put Bacons on a stock D in a large hall any more than you'd
put Imadegawas on a chamber instrument. You'd decide, based on
your experience, which hammer was best suited (closest) to
what the piano and the venue need.

 >  by the way, my real bias is that over time we techs have
been marketed
 > to believe that a good hammer _must_ be needled extensively
to produce
 > tone and be deemed a "Good Hammer".   rubbish.

Before that, we were taught at the alter that a sweat sock on
a stick could be turned into the ideal (perfect?) hammer by a
months long process of applying a magic but strangely
unquantified and largely unobtainable lacquer with the proper
incantations and gesticulation. While some people CAN turn a
sweat sock on a stick into a very convincing simulation of a
working hammer, I don't think I'd consider it to be the ideal
approach. There's rubbish, and there's great steaming piles of
other stuff. It's a matter of degree. A little lacquer, non
magic, can help as can a little needling. This requires a
hammer that was somewhere in the functional range of what the
piano and venue needed before voicing. The less voicing
required, the better you guessed. This, I know, is what you're
working at, and I approve wholeheartedly.

Have we disagreed here on anything at all yet?
Ron N

Incidentally, my spell checker just suggested "Megawatts" as a
correction for "Imadegawas". <G>