[pianotech] sostenuto

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 20:00:41 MDT 2010

Hi Ed,

Could you give us a bit more information? Was the SOS working OK before you
removed the rod to repin? Are sections of the SOS working correctly? Which
section is not, and what are the symptoms?

Where does the knife blade rotate to relative to the horizontal key bed? 3
o'clock (as viewed from the treble end)? More or less?  As pointed out, the
tabs need to be in a (more or less) straight line. Are some catching and
some not? This symptom is characteristic of at least a few significant
possibilities: knife edge not rotating far enough; rotating too far; knife
edge too far rearward (grabbing and noisy) or too far forward (some tabs
catch, some don't); knife edge too high or too low.

Do you have the Steinway SOS spring gage that assists in setting the height
of the rod relative to the keybed, and ditto on the underside of the tabs. I
assume the piano is not in your shop.

Need more info. This should be a relatively easy fix if all the components
are steady, properly bushed, and working from the pedal to the rod.

Nick

--
Nick Gravagne, RPT
AST Mechanical Engineering