[pianotech] Charging by job, or by hour?

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 20:16:14 MDT 2010

Try this one on.  Suppose I charge $100 an hour, and a job takes one hour.  I get $100.  Now I go to a convention at a cost of $1000.  There, I learn how to do the same job in half an hour. Do I now do that same job for $50? Did my spending money to become more competent actually work to my detriment?    ----Tom Gorley

The example is a little extreme, but when you learn to do a job more efficiently, you also learn to do it better. You might actually wind up working about the same amount of time, but do a much better job. Thus, a happier customer. If you still find yourself doing a job in half the time, you should charge a little less, but then find other things to do, and make the customer happier. A happier customer will mean more business in the long run.

Wim