[pianotech] Charging by job, or by hour?

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 20:28:14 MDT 2010

In  my  "Point  -  Blank"  Business class.
I emphasize these words

  '   ''''''  CHARGE   FOR  WHAT YOU DELIVER  """

   NOT FOR THE TIME IT TAKES TO DELIVER IT.

To a point, I agree. But on what do you base you charge to deliver? Do you just pick a figure out of the air and hope the customer says yes?

There are two reasons I have a chart of my work, based on how long it take me to do the work. First is to not cheat myself. I don't remember exactly how long it takes to do each job, so I have it written down. I look at the chart, and tell the customer it will cost $300 to replace a set of bridle straps. If she likes the price, we have a deal. If not, I know that I'm not going to loose money doing it for less. It is my choice to decide to reduce the amount, based on how hungry I am that week.

The seond reason I use a chart is not to cheat my customers. When I quote Mrs. James $300 to replace the bridle straps, I want to make sure I quote the same figure to Mrs. Jones, because there is a chance that Mrs. James and Mrs. Jones are sister. If I quote Mrs. James $300 and Mrs. Jones $450, there will be questions I don't want to answer

Wim