[pianotech] Charging by job, or by hour?

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 10:09:18 MDT 2010

Greetings,

In a message dated 7/21/2010 2:20:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

In my case I can tune a piano in 30 minutes but they get an hour.  If I can
get the piano in tune in 30 minutes I find something else that needs doing.
 If it’s a difficult piano it takes an hour and they don’t get more.  If it
’s a disaster and it takes more than an hour they get charged more.  If the
convention teaches me something for greater efficiency then I do the job
faster and it leaves me time for other things.  My speed makes for a higher
hourly rate, they get more from me because of my experience and expertise,
better product, they don’t mind paying more—well some do.

  Amen!

I believe this is termed, value added srevice. Someone older that I know,
told me this type of service is popular in a depression/recession time.

Julia
PA