[pianotech] "Gray Market" Kawai??

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun Jul 25 20:52:11 MDT 2010

I stated "10% IRH", or "Indoor Relative Humidity"... it's a bit of an
exaggeration, except on the very coldest days when the furnace is really
working hard to warm the air a lot and greatly increase its ability to hold
moisture, i.e. drying it.

Outdoor relative humidity doesn't vary that much in the winters here, but
the temperatures do. Summers see high temps in the 90's (F). I think that
nearly every winter I've been here (since 1985) we've had a week straight
where it doesn't get above 10F, and a number of days in a row that it
doesn't get over 0F.

If outdoor air is at 50% RH at 0F, and then gets heated to 65F, the RH is
MUCH lower. I have no idea exactly how low, but I'd venture a guess that
it's below 25%.

RH is a factor of Dew Point and Temperature. The dew point of outdoor air in
the winter may be -20F and the outdoor temp is -15F. When that air is heated
to 65F indoors, its dew point is still -20F, thus making it very very very
dry.

If the piano was on the front porch, at least it would kill the mice, but no
one would be able to play it and I certainly would not be out there tuning
the thing. And in my six years of doing this I've only tuned one on the
front porch! (and it did get moved in for the winter, then they added on to
the house, so now it can live in the house, too.)

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN