[pianotech] WNG plate bolts

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Tue Jul 27 22:32:29 MDT 2010

Baldwin's plate suspension bolts were threaded to the hilt of necessity,
since it was threaded into the plate as well as the rim.  In this case, it
is not necessary since the thread do not engage in the plate, but in the
lower bolt beneath the plate.

I don't know where we buy them, but the Hailun 218 (7') grand uses an
identical plate suspension bolt.  It is so identical that I suspect they are
from WNG.  We had a problem with an over-zealous tech over-tightening the
top bolt and breaking the head off.  We addressed the problem by having the
vendor make the top bolt of a harder steel (brass plated), and increasing
the shank diameter slightly, just above where the threads begin.

Try using a washer under the top bolt, thick enough to take up the slack.
It's not a bad idea to use a washer for other reasons.  It's better than
having the top bolt break off!  You can imagine the difficult of repairing
that?

Frank Emerson