[pianotech] Humidity control in Vegas

Roger Wheelock roger at dampp-chaser.com
Wed Jul 28 05:33:03 MDT 2010

Hello Joe and Rob,

Humidistats with adjustable dials had been around a long time before they were introduced in the piano market.  A common use is in greenhouses.  In fact, I use one in our test room where we evaluate product innovations in our Schimmel grand.

We feel that the piano owner, or in fact anyone that has access to the piano, can twirl the dial with unpredictable and possibly damaging effects.  In our litigious society, if something goes wrong, all fingers point toward the manufacturer.  Sad, but true.  But more importantly, we do not want to see harm done to a piano.  We consider what might go wrong, as well as what would be a benefit, when we develop our products.

I had the pleasure of getting to know Mr. Foote before he passed.  He was certainly a dynamic and interesting individual.  Gayle and I remember him fondly.

All the best,

Roger