[pianotech] Bouncing Bostons

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jul 29 22:00:11 MDT 2010

Do you mean that it's rebounding off the cushion into the string on a quick
firm staccato blow?  If so then check the flange pinning, it's probably too
loose.  I don't see the balancier pinning as an issue as in one suggestion.
In fact, one can increase the friction in the balancier (and in a
performance piano one probably should) in order to be able to increase the
tension on the repetition spring (and thereby the jack return as well)
improving repetition immensely, especially with a hammer flange with
adequate friction (0-1 grams is not adequate friction btw).

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

Hi List,

Anyone know of anything chronic in Boston Grands (GP178) that has the hammer
double striking on a quick/firm staccato blow?  I've got one that does.
Anyone have any ideas/solutions?  The piano is finely regulated otherwise
(just today, in fact).  1 3/4" blow, about .400" Key Travel, Checking about
1/2", Rep springs are definitely NOT jumpy.  In all other ways, the action
plays nicely, controllably.  And that is no mean feat.  I took some DW/UW
measures today out of curiousity, and they were haywire.  DW range from 62g
- 46g, UW from 18g to 35g or so.

My thoughts are turning to action pinning (haven't checked yet).  Key
Bushings and pins are clean and lubed (teflon), but that's as far as we got.
Wondering if tight pinning (of any parts) might contribute to this
rebounding back into the strings - and it is a full rebound.  You can watch
the hammer appear to bounce off the rest rail, though I'm not convinced that
is exactly what is happening.  Kind of musing aloud here..............

William R. Monroe