[pianotech] advertising

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 19:46:13 MDT 2010

Not bad, Duaine. But my immediate response to your website is "this is a
homemade website". That may be fine depending on what message you are trying
to convey to your potential clients. One of the first things I did when I
got my business license in 1994 was to pay a respected graphic artist to
design a logo and business card for me. I then had envelopes and letterhead
made up with the same logo. I paid for the extra thick card stock on my
card, and went with high quality watermarked paper for my letterhead.

These things really make a good impression and don't cost that much in the
big scheme of things. One of my pet peeves is a cheap business card. It's
about as bad as poor quality answering machine messages. Whether you like it
or not, these things reflect the type and quality of service you give.

Websites are the modern day store front for small businesses. They are also
the most economical and effective way to promote yourself. I pay about $70 a
year to maintain mine.  I traded an all day service on a Young Chang studio
piano for the set-up. After the initial site was up, over time I learned to
tweak it to keep it fresh and current.

Surf around and find websites you really like, and find out who the
developers are. You should be able to find someone to set up a nice-looking
professional site for $500-1000.

Here's another tip: Join your local music teachers association. The dues are
not that much and it gets you a free listing in their directory and
sometimes on their websites. Show up at their meetings and volunteer to
help. Donate tunings for adjudications in exchange for a little publicity.
Offer to do a program for one of their meetings. The goal should be for most
piano teachers in the area to know who you are.

A couple of favorite books:
Guerrilla Marketing
Marketing without advertising

--