[pianotech] Low humidity ok ?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jun 20 09:33:20 MDT 2010

> Do many of you agree  that stability is much more important than
> maintaining a specific Relative Humidity level in the piano?

More important, yes.

> And that too much humidity is worse than too little?

Maybe yes, and maybe no. Both should be avoided. All depends on piano
- old piano with marginal soundboard crown and almost-loose tuning
pins, higher RH might work better for it. New piano that performs well
at a lower RH, low RH may be just fine for that piano.

> In other words, with an adjustable humidistat (Moisture King) and
> one or two heat bars we can keep Relative Humidity at 30 % or even
> 25 % and that is good, much better than swings from 25 to 85 % RH
> for example ?

Steady 30 or 25% is better than 25% to 85% RH swings for sure. Steady
45% or 50% is likely better than 30 or 25% RH.

Steady is best. Mid-range RH is best generally. However, if the piano
in question performs better at a higher or lower RH, then an RH
adjusted in that direction may be beneficial.

Terry Farrell