[pianotech] Discounted rate for piano stores?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jun 29 14:51:32 MDT 2010

I did when I started in private business to do the tunings for whatever
they were willing to pay me.  It built up some start up business.
Referrals from them built up some more, but after a time, I slowly raised
my store rates until I was probably more than they wanted to spend, so
gave the new biz to the younger and hungrier tech trying to build
his/hers.  After a while, I was only called to work on the best sales they
made, like high end grands, etc.  I liked that a lot as I got lots of nice
pianos to work on:>) Then onward, I only charged my normal fees to do
warranty tunings, so they ended up stopping except for the very best
stuff. Also a good plan if you want really nice pianos to service, and
referrals who usually had nice pianos as well.  There's always a few
junker pianos referred, but you service them once or twice, and if you can
afford to let them go, then do. As we all know, some "rich" people have
junker pianos.  One instance makes me think of a top of the hill Microsoft
Exec. who had a vacation "home" on Whidbey Island. ...(a 7,500 square foot
home with attached indoor olympic sized pool "for the kids").  In a corner
of the house was a green painted spinet of no name which was a POS.  I
smile, give them my usual bill, and move on.......never did hear from them
again, as their home town tuner in Bellevue was a great tech from Seattle.
 That piano has probably not been tuned since, I fear! :>) *

As far as home rate vs. shop rate, I charged the same (which was probably
too low in the Seattle area), but it all seemed to average itself out.  I
raised my hourly mostly to aim for an average.   The problem was with the
home job, there's always that one "thing" one needs for only a shop thing
"needs" to complete the job correctly, but I charged accordingly for the
trip charge, or moving the action/piano to the shop.

I say, for bookkeeping, keep the hourly charge steady, but adjust for
extra trips, cartage, etc.

Best of luck
Paul

*BTW; Do you think to yourself to charge these kinds of people up the Butt
because they're so over the top wealthy?  I was always tempted, but never
did.  Many of them would say, "Is this all you charge?"  I always hated
hearing this!  Even when standard "wealthy" people said this, I, later,
would analyze this and perhaps raise my rates a bit....careful not to
screw out the bread and butter customers.