[pianotech] Discounted rate for piano stores?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jun 30 13:47:29 MDT 2010

Good point, Paul.

The Morgan twins used to tune for Sherman Clay in Seattle.  Their gone,
now, RIP, but the salesmen/women always said that when they
tuned/prepped...it sold quick! I'll always remember Frank, with plastic
inplants n nearly every joint, sayin' "hows it goin there, sonny?"

I always tune/prep pianos at stores as if I had to play them myself...junk
or not.. Same here at UNL (now a Big 10 school)  Always a solid A-440(or a
bit plus) tuning.  Regulation on the uprights were always a struggle to
talk them into, and the really cheap junk never got anything but a tuning.
 You would think that with a 100% mark up (or more on the junk) that they
would go for it, but sadly a tuning was all it got. The money is in the
junk!  same for the in the home tuning, at least for the stores I worked
with (not for) I quit tuning for them, not because of their lack of pay,
but their business practices.  Sell it, ship it, tune it, that's it! It
drove me nuts!. I was actually an employee for a certain store in the
Seattle are for exactly one year. I was fed up with their business
practices, but stayed to the day of one year,(biting my lip every day to
customers saying, yes, this was a good piano for the money invested!) so I
could get the one week vacation pay I earned! Boy, did that piss off the
boss!!  ha ha ha.  It was in writing, so have at it, I said! I figure they
got 50% more (or more) work out of me than they paid me, so off I went
with a smile on my face :>) I worked at least 80 hours per week for them
that year. Boy, what a good lesson for all of us to learn!

Now I get in "trouble" for working over 40 hours/week!  Joy! joy joy!  I
love this job!  I could spend 80 hours working on what these pianos need,
but hey, it's job security (I hope!) It's public funds, so I'm never safe!

Paul