[pianotech] billing dilemma with pitch raises

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 03:26:16 MDT 2010

    Too many questions ... not sure how to answer them all right
now.  I'll have to think about it more.
    But here's an off-the-cuff response.
    You had a post many years ago about how some pianos have a
"razor's edge tolerance" (or something like that) of where you
can set the string and have a beatless unison, and other's have
a "range" (a very thick razor blade with a "bull nose" edge
rather than the point of a 'V') within which they sound
beatless, or very close to beatless.  Well, the ones with only a
razor's edge tolerance take longer to tune.  You can't park the
car "anywhere in the driveway;" it's got to be on an exact spot.
    Some pianos I tune every 3 months still take 1 1/2 or even 2
hours to tune sometimes.  I don't know why.  They're just
stubborn.  There are others that only get tuned every couple
years, or even every five years or more, yet they stay right on
A=440.  Some of those take 45 minutes to tune; others 2 hours.
The ones that take 2 hours are probably only 10% of the total
pianos tuned.  And same with the ones that only take 45 minutes
(except in the schools, which don't always get a super-precise
tuning).
    But in general, after I do a pitch raise, the final tuning
goes quicker, I guess because it gets it closer to the final
"target" than a tuning on a piano whose A49 is at 440, but maybe
the tenor is sharp or the bass is flat or whatever.
    --David Nereson, RPT