[pianotech] Request for chemical products of concern for 2011 class in Kansas City

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Nov 1 09:47:51 MDT 2010

On 11/1/2010 3:49 AM, Ryan Sowers wrote:

> One that concerns me is the monomer liquid used in the acrylikey ivory
> chip repair system. That stuff is so incredibly volatile - you can
> smell it instantly when you open the container. It smells particularly
> nasty too!

I caught one whiff of that smell during the demonstration, and wanted
nothing to do with it. I think that the Acrylikey should be used only
under a hood in a chem lab.
Notice that the very nice tuner who invented it (senior moment -- his
name is temporarily out of my reach) died young. He was also
hemophiliac, so how much the fumes had to do with it is unknown. I'm
sure they didn't do his liver any good.

> Another is the accelerators used for super glue - another really
> volatile chemical that worries! But it comes in so handy! Also I
> wonder how terrible the super glue fumes are themselves. When treating
> a pinblock you can really get a lot of fumes going.

The super glue accelerators are completely unnecessary, thank heavens.
That is one reason I like the glue trick so well ... white glue or
carpenter's glue set up the CA quite nicely, and quickly enough, with no
fumes of their own at all. The accelerator was another thing I smelled
once and vowed never to smell again.

As for the CA fumes -- yes, lots and lots of ventilation, especially in
a customer's house! But I think that the better answer is, USE LESS OF
IT. Instead of trying to saturate a whole pinblock, just use a few drops
on whatever pins don't hold. It's not like you couldn't treat others
later as needed. If you treat only the bad pins, and only with a few
drops (which is usually enough, though sometimes a second application of
a few more drops later helps), you can deal with the loose pins in just
a few minutes, as needed, without gassing yourself and your customer.

We as a group seem to be trying to retain the old method of dealing with
bad pinblocks (soak the whole block with glycerin and alcohol) and just
change the substance used. But CA is fundamentally different. It seems
to me to be much more suited to spot applications now and then as
needed. Instead of having to make a big deal of treating the block like
in the bad old days -- tipping the upright, pouring this GOOP on,
waiting a week, mopping up what we can, un-tipping, tuning ... well, of
course we only want to do that once, and only if we really need to. But
CA can free us from that whole scenario. When you have a particular pin
which won't hold, treat it. The medium loose ones, just leave them till
they won't hold at a later date, then treat them as needed. Out comes
the tiny bottle with the narrow spout, and a towel. A few drops, it
wicks in without tilting the piano,  let it sit a few minutes, tune to
get the pin moving before it sets completely. Try again in a few more
minutes, add a little more if needed ......... and all done, just during
a normal tuning. No tilting, no messy kid stuff, just tighter pins. And
since you'll be exposed to less of the CA fumes than if you'd tried for
(completely unnecessary) total saturation, you are less likely to have
to expose yourself to our toxic health care system later on.

Well, just my take on it.

Susan Kline