[pianotech] Brumbach Rebuild

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Mon Nov 1 17:28:39 MDT 2010

OH boy oh boy oh boy!!  There's a whole lot needs to change in that
action.  The action ratio is way too high - get it below 6 for sure.
Interesting that the rebuilder relocated the capstans toward the balance
rail already.  That should have lowered the ratio, so just imagine what
it must have been before the move.  18.5 gm friction is also too high,
but bad geometry can sometimes add to friction, so maybe when everything
else is working right the friction will come down.  And your magic
line.  And the jiffy-leads.   You might make a pretty good playing
action out of this, if you're open to replacing the shanks and wippens
(maybe hammers also), altering the rails, and relocating the capstans
again.  In other words, this looks so screwed up that you're going to
have to start over from scratch.