[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 3 06:16:08 MDT 2010

HI David,

I rarely use a forearm smash.  When I'm mad at how say, a Steinway vertical
tunes, then I might use it but mostly just for some satisfaction. :) A pin
and string can be set without pounding the devil out of the note.  It takes
lots of practice and some patience with constantly telling yourself not to
try too hard to get it "perfect."  Not to many pianos can be tuned
"perfect."  It will come out fine and sound better tomorrow than it does
today if you were to return tomorrow to check it, if that makes any sense to
you.

One key in speed with tuning is to get the piano on pitch as soon as
possible.  This takes lots and lots of practice and for me, I used a watch
with a 2nd hand.  Get it up, quickly, setting a time in which to do so.  Say
40 minutes.  After you achieve that goal, lower the time by a couple/few
minutes.  When you reach that goal, lower it again until you can adjust
pitch in maybe 15 minutes or less.  I know of one fellow in Florida that can
do blind pitch raise in 3-4 minutes going over the entire piano, allowing a
whole lot of time for a fine tuning.

If the pitch adjustment is taking you 30-50 minutes, that's quite a while.
15-20 is okay.  That would allow you about 40 minutes for a fine tune to be
done in one hour.  Or, for sure, a full hour to complete the tuning after
the pitch adjustment.  I was taught speed because we have lots of pianos
that need to get tuned before the holidays and others for my college that
need to be ready for when school starts.

Another point is if a pin is moved back and forth past perfect a lot, you
know this already of course, it automatically helps to create an unstable
and sometimes difficult pin to set.  It may tend to drift more which means,
going over it again, and again and again possibly.  The less the pin is
moved, the better.  Remember, less is best.  Practice speed using a watch.

Hope that helps.

Jer