[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 00:57:18 MDT 2010

    Thanks, everyone, for your replies -- it all helps.  Maybe
I'm listening too long and thinking too much.  But I've observed
tuners at conventions who hit a  unison that's out, and in one
quick single movement of the tuning hammer, hit the beatless
spot first time.  That happens for me on maybe one in thirty
unisons.  On all the rest, I've either over- or undershot the
intended target, and then have to pound away, beating it back
down, or cranking it a little farther up, until it's "on."
There's such a variance in how far you move the lever before the
string moves.  In some pianos, the lever can rotate through 10
or 15 degrees before a pitch change is heard, and in others, if
you even look at the pin askance, it will change pitch.
    --David Nereson