[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Nov 4 08:24:43 MDT 2010

Three things: First, you need to be able to feel the pin move (it's a tiny
little click) through the lever in your fingers; second, you need to be able
offset the twisting of the pin with a slight pressing down of the lever
(bending of the pin) so that the twisting of the pin doesn't cause a change
in the pitch before the pin actually moves; and third, you need to be able
to judge by feel the tightness of the pin in the block to know just how much
pressure on the lever you need to offset the pin twisting.  The only way to
get that is through targeted practice with that specific goal in mind.  It's
a little easier on a grand piano, btw.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com