[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 02:25:32 MDT 2010

No, because of, a) outrageous cost,

David

I bought a hammer from Charles 5 years ago. His booth was next to Randy's, where I was selling my book. On the last day of the convention, he had 5 or 6 left, and there was one I really liked. I got it for $235. At the time I had some problems with my elbow and my back. Several people had told me that the ball on the end would solve those problems, but like you, I thought the price was outrageous. But I bit the bullet, and took it home.

As far as tools are concerned, it was probably the best investment I ever made. The new lever did two things for me. Because of the way you can hold on to the lever, within three weeks, the pain in my shoulder and elbow were gone. This was when I was still at Alabama, and during August I tuned all 75 pianos during the three weeks before school started. I tell you, I couldn't believe how little discomfort there was doing all those tuning.

The second thing this new lever did for me was allow me to set the pins much better, because it is so well balanced. This gave me much more solid tunings.

I would highly recommend you buy one of Charles' levers. It is no bigger than the standard tuning lever from the supply houses, and it's designed to allow you to change tips if you need to do that. It will give you more stable tunings, save your shoulder and elbow, and help you speed up your tunings. Which, if you can go from 2 hours down to an hour and a half, you should be able to get in one more tuning ever day. That alone will pay for the lever in just a couple of days.

Wim