[pianotech] Stability techniques

johnparham at piano88.com johnparham at piano88.com
Thu Nov 4 08:38:58 MDT 2010

Phil,

Thank you for this question. I have been tuning for about 7 years, so I
have limited experience.  Tuning stability, however, will always in the
forefront of my mind.  Whether a technician has a wide range of skills
or a narrow range of skills, the quintessential skill in our profession
is the ability to produce a solid, stable tuning.

Recognizing that every technician invests a different amount of time and
effort into their own professional development, I have always leaned
toward focusing on fundamentals.  If you can produce a stable tuning, at
least you can deliver a product worth selling, even if that's all you
can do.

To add what has already been said, here is my perspective on tuning
stability.

1. Tight pins that render well--- I pull the string slightly above
pitch, then below pitch, then center the string with a clockwise pull of
the hammer.  Pounding it in is less important.

2. Tight pins that DON'T render well--- I pull the string slightly above
pitch, then below pitch, then I repeat the process until I feel that I
have equalized the string tension, as much as possible, between the
tuning pin and capo bar / capo bar to speaking length.  Leaving the
pitch slightly sharp, I pound the note down to pitch.

3. "Soggy" pins that render way too easily--- This type of pin is way to
sensitive to the slightest pressure from the hammer.  I pull the string
above pitch, below pitch, then slightly above pitch.  As I settle it
back down, I push it slightly below pitch then pull it up very slightly
to pitch.  I want the last movement of the hammer to be pulling the note
up.  The last movement, to me, is my effort to relax the flexing of the
pin.  This point is the point I "feel" the pin is the most stable.  I
don't try to force it to the place I want the pitch to be.  If the pitch
is sharp, I pull it sharp to the point where I feel the tuning pin
twisting at the bottom of the pin.  I repeat the process until the pitch
is right.  Pounding is less important.

My techniques are still a work in progress.

-John Parham
Hickory, NC