[pianotech] Stability techniques

Bppiano bppiano at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 18:54:39 MDT 2010

I know alot of other techs snicker when I bring up the idea pitch stability, but I just don't care.  You can't ensure a stable tuning until the soundboard is stabilized.  In order to get this it's pitch raise, pitch raise, pitch raise.   If a piano is somewhat consistently 2 cents flat, I do a 50% target over pitch, so obviously, I tune 1 cent sharp at least in the center of the piano up to F6 or so, as quickly as possible.  Then pull up the unisons, then strip just the temperment octave or sometimes from A4 all the way down, and start over.  And pound the hell out of it if circumstances allow.  By the way, I always tuning from an open string unison to the next octave up or down.  As I work through a section I check for consistent tenths, thirds, sixths, etc.....   Always open string unisons to catch any errant unisons.

I have a long time contract for a 5 star hotel where I tune 16 to 20 pianos a month, so I see the same pianos over and over again and get to evaluate my work often and study how these pianos go out of tune.  Its mostly  an open air facility with a man-made lake in the center.  It's amazing to see how consistently they go out due to the environmental condidtions changing.  I get to note out of a 3-string-unison which strings go out of tune and approximately how much.  I would estimate (not having any stringent scientific study on the subject) that the differing lengths of each of the 3 strings has the most to do with the unison drift.

Once again, I wait to hear from Professor Nossman (Ron) on this matter.

Bruce P