[pianotech] Stability techniques

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Nov 4 21:13:07 MDT 2010

On 11/4/2010 7:54 PM, Bppiano wrote:
> I know alot of other techs snicker when I bring up the idea pitch
> stability, but I just don't care.

They do? Why?

>You can't ensure a stable tuning until
> the soundboard is stabilized.

I disagree. You can't get anything qualifying as a stable tuning until
the environment is stabilized. How do you stabilize a soundboard by tuning?

> I have a long time contract for a 5 star hotel where I tune 16 to 20
> pianos a month, so I see the same pianos over and over again and get to
> evaluate my work often and study how these pianos go out of tune. Its
> mostly an open air facility with a man-made lake in the center. It's
> amazing to see how consistently they go out due to the environmental
> condidtions changing. I get to note out of a 3-string-unison which
> strings go out of tune and approximately how much. I would estimate (not
> having any stringent scientific study on the subject) that the differing
> lengths of each of the 3 strings has the most to do with the unison drift.
> Once again, I wait to hear from Professor Nossman (Ron) on this matter.

Professorially (whoever he is) speaking, yes. Shorter overall lengths go
out farther, except where break% is low.

Incidentally, alot still isn't a word.
Still, Ron N