[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Thu Nov 4 09:59:33 MDT 2010

In my world, tuning unisons means, at some point, listening to the note played once all the way from attack to decay. I can't conceive of tuning any other way. My tunings consistently take between 50 and 80 minutes, and are stable and musical---stability is important, but not more important than musicality, and that demands a level of excellence and precision that is aural as well as mechanical or kinesthetic. A stable tuning with out-of-tune
triple octaves and screamingly sharp-sounding thirds (the kind that give ET a bad name) is still a stable C+ tuning.

Tuning the bass I listen to octaves, double and triple octaves, and fifths and fourths. Waiting for the inharmonics to subside so I can hear the real beats of the fourths sometimes takes four to five seconds of listening and waiting, depending on how hard you hit the note. In the bass, softest is quickest.

For a lot of us, the ten-thousand-hour rule applies. After you've tuned with some level of focus for 10K hours, your body knows how to do the work impeccably, masterfully. It's your chattering, negative, scattered, doubt-filled monkey mind that is the main barrier to speed and accuracy as well as rhythm and flow. When you find yourself talking to yourself, criticizing yourself, doubting yourself, just turn your attention back to the world of sound. JUST LISTEN TO THE NOTE and let your body do the work. Trust it. Voodoo? No. Practical wisdom? In my experience, yes.
Hope this helps....
DA