[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Nov 4 09:57:56 MDT 2010

Let me just amplify on this notion of speed and stability. People who are able to tune fast are, first of all, those who can feel the actual amount of movement of the pin in the block. But more than that, they are able to anticipate from what they feel the amount of pitch change that will accompany that movement. Slower (and less stable) tuners are more reactive. They move the pin and listen for how much the pitch moves and then they react and push it back the other way or add more depending on what they hear. The more skilled tuner will be able to tell from what they feel whether that's enough or not and are often able to hit the target spot on at the first go. This skill is particularly useful when a piano has friction or rendering issues. Once the more skilled tuner senses that the correct amount of pin movement has occurred they then work to equalize tension knowing that no more or very little pin movement is required. In order to build speed, then, you must practice very consciously with the intention of learning to anticipate the amount of pitch movement that accompanies what you feel in the pin to pinblock connection. That not only will increase speed but accuracy and stability as well.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com