[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises;

Mark & Janine Davis pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Thu Nov 4 13:57:27 MDT 2010

I have found that if I listen to the tenth and seventeenth before I tune the
octave I am able to tune the bass cleaner and quicker.  Once I have tuned
the particular octave note I then check the tenth, seventeenth, octave,
double octave and twelfth quickly to make sure that all is sounding ok.  It
goes pretty quickly.  In the treble I check my tenths and seventeenths, tune
the single octave and then check if double octave and single octave fifths
are sounding as I like and then move on if all is ok.

Usually when I tune as I have described above I usually take about 1.5 hours
and there might be some pitch adjusting that takes place too.  Often I find
I need to pitch adjust and tune in one sitting and due to time constraints I
do no checking whilst tuning.  I only make any corrections that are
necessary once I have finished the overall job.  The amount of correcting
varies from piano to piano.

Of late I have been using my Korg OT-120 for pitch adjusting.  I find that
it allows me to get into the ballpark easier and allows a better uniformity
over the entire piano so as to allow me to tune faster after the pitch
adjusting has been done.  Having strip muted the entire scale I usually
pitch adjust the middle and the treble and high treble to reasonably
accurate, I pull in the unisons and then start all over again, this time
tuning my pitch adjustment.  Once I have finished with this area I then
pitch adjust and tune the bass.  Depending on how far off pitch the piano is
I will adjust pitch until stable and then tune.

The whole issue with tuning is you cannot fine tune a piano until it has
been tuned.  I read this about 5 years ago and am only now beginning to
understand and apply this to my everyday tuning.

For straight forward tuning, Octave, fourths, fifths, double octave and
twelfths must all sound good in the middle, treble and high treble and you
are moving on.  In the bass listen to the tenth first, tune the octave,
listen to the tenth and octave and move on if you are happy.   If I tune
like this, it takes about 45min to 1 hour.  I usually listen to the interval
being tuned for about 2-4 seconds depending, when I am tuning.  For pitch
adjusting it is less.

A lot of what I apply to pitch adjusting and tuning I have learnt from the
pianotech and caut archives.

Thank you!  I hope that this helps someone?

Best regards, Mark